Carbon Monoxide is the #1 cause of poisonings in the U.S., yet less than 5% of all CO Poisonings are reported. The safe and efficient operation of your heating equipment and other combustion appliances cannot be determined without testing using a calibrated combustion analyzer. Carbon monoxide, even in small quantities, can cause serious health problems, particularly in children and the elderly. CO exposure can cause nausea, severe headache, shortness of breath, chest pain, blurred vision, and dizziness. Millions of unsuspecting homeowners are exposed to low levels of CO and are completely unaware.
Unfortunately, standard carbon monoxide alarms don’t go off until your family has been exposed to 70 ppm (parts per million) for over 3 and a half hours. Most international limits for unsafe levels, including OSHA and the World Health Organization’s guidelines are between at 15-35 ppm.
Andy Lewis recommends and installs carbon monoxide detectors that have the following features:
- Continuous Scan™ mode lets you know monitor is checking for CO constantly
- Digital display shows CO levels of 5ppm or higher
- Low Alarm – 15 ppm – audible & visual every 8 seconds
- High Alarm – 35 ppm – audible & visual every 4 seconds
- Crisis Alarm – 70+ ppm – audible & visual every 2 seconds
Carbon monoxide can come from additional sources in your home besides your heating equipment, and they should also be checked. These sources include your Water Heater, Gas Range, Gas Logs, Space Heater, Boiler, and even an attached garage.